The best magazine
How to Print Envelopes From Spreadsheets in OpenOffice
Create Data Source
- 1). Open the OpenOffice word processor program.
- 2). Click on the "File" menu.
- 3). Highlight the "New" menu option.
- 4). Click on the "Database" option.
- 5). Click on the radio button next to "Connect to an existing database" option in the Database Wizard dialog window.
- 6). Click on "Spreadsheet" from the drop down menu below the "Connect to an existing database" option and click the "Next" button.
- 7). Click the "Browse" button and choose the spreadsheet that contains the addresses you want to use.
- 8). Click the "Finished" button to create the database.
- 9). Type a name for the database in the "Save As" text box.
Create the Envelopes Document
- 1). Click on the "Insert" menu at the top of the word processor program.
- 2). Click on the "Envelopes" menu option.
- 3). Click on the database that you created from the "Database" drop down menu in the Envelope dialog window.
- 4). Click on the table that you want to use from the "Table" drop down menu.
- 5). Click on the fields that you want to add to the envelope (First Name, Last Name, Address, City, State, Zip) and click the left pointing arrow to add them to the Addressee text box.
- 6). Type the sender name and address in the "Sender" text box.
- 7). Click on the "Format" tab at the top of the Envelope dialog window.
- 8). Click on the "#10 Envelope" option from the "Format" drop down menu in the "Size" section.
- 9). Click the "New Doc." button to create the envelopes.
Load the envelopes into the printer tray in the direction indicated on the tray. Some home printers load the envelopes with the long side parallel to the printer with the "flap" end going into the printer first. Other printers load the envelopes with the long side perpendicular to the printer with the flap pointing to the left or right. There is usually a diagram printed directly on the paper tray. It is a good idea to load a single envelope first to make sure you have the direction correct. Then you can add more envelopes. Most printers will allow you to put approximately 10 envelopes in the paper tray at one time.
Press "Ctrl+P" to print the envelopes.