The best magazine
See What It Takes To Get Into the United States Coast Guard Academy
Coast Guard Academy Description:
The United States Coast Guard Academy has one of the lowest acceptance rates of any college in the country, private or public. Unlike the other federal military academies, the USCGA does not require a congressional nomination as part of the application process -- applicants are evaluated solely on their merits. Like the other academies, tuition is free but students must serve for five years after graduation.
The Coast Guard Academy has an impressive 8 to 1 student / faculty ratio, and 80% of graduates go on to graduate school. Most graduates also choose to serve for more than the five-year commitment. The Academy is located in New London, Connecticut, adjacent to Connecticut College.
Will You Get In?
Calculate Your Chances of Getting In with this free tool from Cappex
Admissions Data (2014):
- Percent of Applicants Admitted: 18%
- GPA, SAT and ACT graph for USCGA
- Test Scores -- 25th / 75th Percentile
- Total Enrollment: 902 (all undergraduate)
- Gender Breakdown: 66% Male / 34% Female
- 100% Full-time
The United States Coast Guard Academy is a federal service academy, so costs are covered by the U.S. government.
Students have a 5-year service commitment after graduation.
Most Popular Majors:
Business Administration, Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Oceanography, Operations Research, Political Science and Government
Graduation and Retention Rates:
- First Year Student Retention (full-time students): 98%
- 4-Year Graduation Rate: 84%
- 6-Year Graduation Rate: 86%
National Center for Educational Statistics
If You Like Coast Guard Academy, You May Also Like These Schools:
- US Air Force Academy: Profile | GPA-SAT-ACT Graph
- Norwich University: Profile
- Harvard University: Profile | GPA-SAT-ACT Graph
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology: Profile | GPA-SAT-ACT Graph
- Duke University: Profile | GPA-SAT-ACT Graph
- Virginia Military Institute: Profile | GPA-SAT-ACT Graph
- US Naval Academy: Profile | GPA-SAT-ACT Graph
- Maine Maritime Academy: Profile
- Yale University: Profile | GPA-SAT-ACT Graph
- University of Florida: Profile | GPA-SAT-ACT Graph
Coast Guard Academy Mission Statement:
mission statement from http://www.cga.edu/display.aspx?id=337
"The United States Coast Guard Academy is committed to strengthening the nation's future by educating, training and developing leaders of character who are ethically, intellectually, professionally, and physically prepared to serve their country and humanity, and who are strong in their resolve to build on the long military and maritime heritage and proud accomplishments of the United States Coast Guard."
Coast Guard Academy profile last updated July 2015.